ProCAT Winner represents over three decades of industry experience and a tradition of many industry firsts. It is the most robust and feature-rich computer-aided transcription available for the court reporting industry. Our custom keyboards for various CAT systems make the transition to Winner a breeze. Additionally, user note and transcript files may be imported from all popular CAT systems into the Winner.
There are several versions of Winner available to address various writing methods. Click on the tabs below to read all about the features specific to these court reporting methods and segments.
We invite you to contact us to request product literature or arrange for an online presentation.
ProCAT Winner (steno edition) has been designed specifically for the court reporters which use a stenotype machine to produce a verbatim record of a proceeding. The following is an overview of the features and benefits of the ProCAT Winner.
Technology — ProCAT is proud to be at the forefront of the information technology. Our tradition to apply leading-edge technology to our products started when we first opened shop. In 1982, we believed in the power and potential of the PC platform and we were the first to create a PC-based CAT system. Recognizing the important role that Windows will play in our lives, we incorporated this technology into the industry’s first 16-bit CAT software in 1993. As Windows technology has evolved, so has Winner. Winner2000 was introduced in 1998 as the first 32-bit CAT software. Winner 2015 is the latest version of Winner.
User Interface — A software should not have to be difficult to learn to be good! In fact, if it looks too difficult, then it is not well thought out and you’ll lose time and money learning it. Winner has adopted the look and feel of the Microsoft® products to ease the transition for first-time CAT users. Updating to Winner from earlier versions of ProCAT software is a breeze because it accepts the old command structure. Winner also has alternate keyboard layouts that simplify the transition from other CAT systems to Winner. These alternate keyboards are set up to behave like your old software.
Features — The fact is that every CAT software can produce a transcript, but helping you improve your efficiency and offer features that increase the opportunity to generate additional revenue, is what we do best! Consider these one-of-a-kind features:
- Realtime — Realtime for The Rest of Us! ProCAT introduced the first portable realtime software in 1986. Since the introduction of the first realtime software, we have continued to add intelligence to our software to help you produce a “cleaner” transcript, with minimum effort.
- Winner’s automatic number processing continually scans the realtime text to locate a sequence of events that would trigger the formatting of numbers (either numerals or words). This process automatically formats: telephone number, Social Security numbers, dollar amounts, measurements, calibers, dates, and times. It is important to emphasize the fact that there is no need for the user to change their writing style to accommodate the number conversion. Winner does it automatically!
- Automatic conflict resolution agent monitors the translation and traps the homonyms. Then using a knowledgebase it selects the appropriate word that completes the sentence. The knowledgebase grows as a user uses the software.
- Instant editing enables a user to translate and edit simultaneously. This feature makes daily and expedited jobs a breeze.
- The morphological analysis controls the word endings. There is no need to predefine every word. Enter root words and word endings and let Winner connect them.
- AudioTrack™ is an automatic sound recording and synchronization feature in realtime. Activate this feature in realtime to record the spoken words and then play them back while editing to proof your transcript.
- The SuperToken™ feature enables a user to define speaker’s names on the fly and change them as needed.
- Automatic punctuation maintains a grammatically correct format.
- Proper noun recognition and formatting assure the correct case.
- Winner offers several time-stamping formats to choose from. The time stamps may appear on every line, every paragraph, or every occurrence of a question or answer. Time stamping feature is designed to meet the Canadian formatting requirements as well.
- Enlarge the screen zoom to make the text more readable or reduce the zoom to create space on the screen. This feature is ideal for CART reporters needing to display their text on a large screen for the hard of hearing or visually impaired person.
- Connect your realtime translation output to any popular attorney browser.
- Access any dictionary during realtime. The dictionary juggle function enables the user to view the dictionary entries before adding an entry to a dictionary.
- Unparalleled speed and performance. Winner realtime is optimized to translate and display a word immediately.
- Control the flow of the realtime from your steno keyboard.
- Issue keyboard commands (i.e. cursor movement, text editing, etc.) from the steno keyboard.
- View translation statistics.
Editing — Reality is that every CAT software can produce a transcript. What makes ProCAT unique is its two decades of research and development that has made the Winner Editor the most powerful, yet easy to learn and use. You will spend about 70% of your time editing a transcript. Using a software that has been designed with you in mind will make your job much more efficient. Here are some of the unique features that have made Winner the choice of thousands of professional reporters:
- AutoEdit™ — probably one of the most powerful features of the editor is the automatic suggest translation feature. This feature automatically suggests an English definition for an untranslated word. This will save you thousands of keystrokes per job.
- AutoProof™ — with the press of a single key, Winner will automatically proof an entire transcript. It searches for common grammatical and style errors. When it locates an inconsistency, it offers a correcting action.
- AutoIndex™ — Talk about time-savers, this ProCAT-first saves you hours because it will automatically produce an index page for you.
- SuperToken™ and Form Fields are placeholders in your transcripts and include files. Placing the cursor on a field and pressing the lookup key will offer a list of replacements for the field (i.e. names and addresses of law firms in an appearance page).
- PowerKeys™ — Use this feature to create keyboard shortcuts to make your editing even more efficient.
- Dictionary Juggle enables the user to look up entries in the dictionaries from the editor.
- AudioTrack™ lets the user playback audio synchronized with the text.
- The scan function jumps to untranslated steno outlines and it plays back the audio corresponding to the steno outline.
- Embed exhibits in a transcript. Use an off-the-shelf flatbed scanner and convert your exhibit to a digital format then embed them into a transcript.
- Embed an audio message in your transcript to remind yourself or a scoper of an event.
- And much more…
- Form Fields — Form fields are placeholders in your include files. You can replace these fields in an include file with the actual name from a database. This feature eliminates the need to repeatedly enter the same text into the editor.
Dictionary Maintenance — A well-tuned dictionary is a foundation for efficient realtime translation and editing. ProCAT has always placed a great deal of emphasis on creating maintenance functions that enable a user to access a dictionary quickly. Here are some of the functions offered in Winner Dictionary Maintenance:
- Import dictionary from other CAT systems
- Import/Export globals
- Import globals from Stentura8000
- Export dictionaries to Stentura 8000
- Add entries
- Change entries
- Remove entries
- Spell check a dictionary
- Find/Replace dictionary entries (global search)
- Optimize dictionary
- Dictionary statistics
- Steno-based pattern search
- English-based pattern search
- View conflicts only
Writers — Winner is compatible with all popular writers, but we highly recommend using the ProCAT Xpression or the ProCAT i m p r e s s i o n Writers. The ProCAT writers have been optimized to deliver the highest transmission speed in realtime. Here is the list of writers which are compatible with the Winner:
- ProCAT Xpression™
- ProCAT i m p r e s s i o n™
- ProCAT Tempo™
- ProCAT Blaze™
- ProCAT Stylus™
- ProCAT Flash™
- ProCAT Stenopaq™ I
- ProCAT Stenopaq II
- Stentura 200SRT/400SRT/500/6000/8000/8000LX
- Baron Transcriptor X
- StenoRAM III/III Plus/Ultra
Note Scope — From time to time it may be necessary to scan a note file to search and translate only a portion of a steno file. The Note Scope function has been provided to enable a user to create an excerpt or to merge several note files into a single file. Note Scope also provides:
- Review steno files
- Create job dictionary entries
- Cut and paste note
- Merge note files
- Search and display steno marks
Importing & Exporting — ProCAT has been a vocal supporter of data exchange using a standard format. Winner supports data import and export using pure RTF and its variation as adopted by the RTF/CRE pact amongst the CAT vendors. Winner supports the following export formats:
- Print image ASCII
- Pure ASCII (text file)
- Cheetah .STO files
Archive Wizard — It is by far the easiest and a complete file backup and restore program. It is designed to be very simple to operate. It is based on Microsoft’s wizard technology. It simply walks a user step-by-step through a file backup and restores process, and it will automatically compress the files in the universal zip format.
ProCAT Winner (voice edition) is a realtime speech recognition and processing software. The realtime nature of Winner enables our users to provide transcription services to the judiciary, closed-captioning services to the broadcasters, live news webcast to the Internet, litigation support services to the attorneys, and rapid text entry for medical transcribers.
- Input Sources — the unique feature of Winner Voice Edition is that it offers the user the option of choosing either their voice or a machine to make the record. In fact, the user may change the method of making the record during a realtime session. This is an awesome feature to exercise when the user experiences fatigue during a session.
- Speech Recognition — Winner supports the Dragon Naturally Speaking and IBM ViaVoice. The recent versions of DNS boast improved accuracy and speed, which makes it ideal for realtime transcription. Our goal is to create products that are simple-to-use and user-friendly. Dealing with the idiosyncrasies of speech recognition engines may be very time-consuming. Unlike the competing computer-aided transcription systems, Winner eliminates the need for a user to deal with these issues because speech processing is transparent to the end user. Moreover, our approach offers the user a uniform user interface and it eliminates the need to learn to operate multiple products.
- Intelligent Homonym Resolution — Winner automatically learns and resolves homonym (sound-alike). The more you use your software, the better it will get.
- Speaker Identification Tokens — Identify the speakers by their names quickly and efficiently. This feature will improve the quality of your realtime translation.
- Visual Effects — Every Winner software package includes an analog-to-digital audio converter. The converter is used to enhance the quality of the input thus offering the end user better accuracy. It is also very important to maintain an audio level that enables the speech processing engine to hear the end user clearly. For this purpose, WinnerVR offers a visible volume meter to enable the user to gauge the input levels.
- Vocabulary Manager and Expander — Adding new words and their corresponding pronunciations is the key to producing an accurate realtime output and reducing transcript production time. Winner offers the end user the option of using its “vocabulary expander” feature to learn new words and word usage from existing documents, or simply use the “vocabulary manager” to add new words to the vocabulary database.
- Command and Controls — It refers to the process of controlling the flow and format of text on the consumers’ video display. Winner provides the facility to create a comprehensive set of user-defined macros that the user may issue during a realtime (or post-production) session. These macros may be used to format a transcript (i.e. Q indicator, A indicator, etc.), or to perform a “hands-off” command.
- Multi-Track Audio Recording — Protecting the integrity of the record is essential to any transcription software. To that end, a user may enable the room recording feature in WinnerVR to digitally record the speakers’ voices (attorneys, Judge, etc.) while the software will automatically record the court reporter’s voice on a separate track. The two audio tracks will be synchronized with the text to enable the user to listen to either track during an editing session. Additionally, the court reporter may play back the room recording track or voice track in response to requests to read back the record.
- Realtime — Realtime for The Rest of Us! ProCAT introduced the first portable realtime software in 1986. Since the introduction of the first realtime software, we have continued to add intelligence to our software to help you produce a “cleaner” transcript with